Well, the weather may not agree, but it is Spring. Most of us have only experienced hints of it so far. But it’s there. Hidden. Under the frost, it seems. But maybe these Vanilla Cupcakes with Pink Lemonade Buttercream (recipe below from That Skinny Chick Can Bake) will bring it out. At least a little.
The cupcakes are airy and a little sticky, with a light crunch on top. They have a sugary vanilla flavor, almost like a sugar cookie. Simple and sweet.
The frosting is very thick and creamy. It wasn’t as pink as I was expecting, more of a pale baby pink, but it’s pretty. The lemonade flavor is surprisingly strong. It’s got a big, sugary lemon kick.
Together they have just the right balance. The sweet, simple cupcake really cuts the tartness of the frosting, but they don’t mask one another. They complement each other quite well. This is a great Spring or Summer cupcake. Cute, refreshing and simple.
- Cupcake Taste: 3.5
- Frosting Taste: 3.5
- Overall Taste: 4
- Appearance: 4
- Ease of Making: 4.5
- TOTAL: 19.5
Vanilla Cupcakes with Pink Lemonade Buttercream (recipe from That Skinny Chick Can Bake)
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- ½ cup buttermilk or sour cream, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ sticks or 12 ounces butter, at room temperature
- 3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons pink lemonade concentrate, from frozen concentrate
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- milk or half and half, as needed
For directions visit That Skinny Chick Can Bake.
*Tomorrow: Brown Sugar Cupcakes with Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Frosting*